Simple Vinegar-Based Coleslaw (no mayo)
My No-Mayo Coleslaw Recipe
Many of you are used to mayo-based coleslaw, but there is an alternative for those who do not enjoy the taste of mayo or for one reason or the other, can’t eat mayonnaise. It satisfies your cravings without sacrificing flavor. It is a perfect addition to your recipe book.
Full Disclosure: This recipe is not for everyone. If you hate tangy, this is not for you. If you enjoy the taste of mayo in your coleslaw, slide left. Think of this coleslaw as a salad with a simple vinegar-based salad dressing. I think you get it.
My children are hard to please when it comes to cooking so I take a non-conventional approach sometimes. if you have little ones like mine who sometimes call Mayonnaise “yuck”. Then look no further than this recipe. It is also a good way to teach kids how to eat their coleslaw without the extras creaminess.
Again, I named this recipe Simple Vinegar-Based Coleslaw because it is a no-fuss recipe that you can make in a snap, but it is not for everyone. If you are vegan, this recipe is a must-have for you. As a bonus, it is gluten and lactose-free.
What you need for this coleslaw:
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 Tbsp Raw unrefined sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup EVOO
- 1/8 tsp dill seeds
- A pinch of celery salt
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 14 ounces shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- A mason jar. I bought a few, see what I use.
- In a mason jar, add sugar, water, oil, apple cider vinegar, dill seeds, celery salt, pepper, onion powder and Dijon mustard. Shake jar covered until well combined.
- Add shredded cabbage and carrots to the salad bowl. Pour dressing over the top and mix. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator.
Tip: Make coleslaw at least an hour before serving to allow all the flavors to combine well.
Meet the Author
Hey, I'm Neema. A mom, wife and self-proclaimed foodie. Lately, I've seen such a HUGE upward trend in blogging. Without hesitation, I decided to pack all my knowledge of parenting, recipes and more in this tiny little site.Learn more
*You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite topics!