Perfect Mason Jar Salad
Remember when your mom used to tell you to put things in order? Perhaps you asked why that was necessary. It will all get used anyway, right? Wrong. Mason jar salads make a great lunch, especially if you want to eat something that won’t end up on your waist line. The question is how do you keep your salad from getting soggy and unappealing. Well, a perfect mason jar salad requires good order.
Here’s your road map to the best mason jar salad you have ever had.
- The dressing always goes in first. If there is any rule you break, this should not be the one. It is very important! Why? You may ask. Keeping your dressing at the bottom prevents your other salad ingredients from getting soggy.
- Next is your grain or a protein, or anything else that is big. This layer will provide wetness protection for your other ingredients.
- Third on the list is your fixings. These are the ingredients that you want to stay completely dry until you are ready to eat. Examples are nuts and cheeses.
- Finally, you may add your leafy greens. This always goes in last. It all makes sense, the greens form a bed for all salad. When you turn the jar over, you have a well thought-out salad. Magnificent!
The other important part of making a perfect mason jar salad is choosing a smart combo of ingredients.
You want to mix textures and flavors. And ideally, you’ll have a filling protein, something salty and crunchy, and something sweet and tangy.
Here are a few Mason Jar Salad ideas:
- Baby Romaine + Farro + Slivered Almonds + Cranberries
- Arugula + Lentils + Pumpkin Seeds + Dried Mangoes
- Zen blend (Asian Greens, Baby Kale, Spinach) + Farro + Sliced Almonds +Dried Papaya
You can explore many combinations and ideas. Just make sure you follow the rules.
Meet the Author
Hey, I'm Neema. A mom, wife and self-proclaimed foodie. Lately, I've seen such a HUGE upward trend in blogging. Without hesitation, I decided to pack all my knowledge of parenting, recipes and more in this tiny little site.Learn more
*You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite topics!